Handy hints for a great garden during the wet
In the wet season, there is really only one irrigation rule of thumb. Turn it off when it rains! However, keep an eye on your garden and water it if it looks really thirsty.
Here are some other ways your garden can get the most out of the wet season:
- Consider installing a smart irrigation controller that will turn your irrigation on and off according to the weather!
- Keep an eye on your irrigation system after a storm. Lightning strikes can burn out underground wiring.
- Mulch, mulch, mulch! In the wet season mulch is essential to keep plant roots cool, water in the soil and weeds down - whilst preventing water logging (just remember, mulch pushed against tree trunks can encourage rotting during the wet, so make sure there is space around the trunk to allow for airflow).
- In the wet, everything thrives - including pests! Keep a close eye on your garden and chat to your local garden supply store if you notice anything unusual!
- For those that love 'growing your own' - don't forget that the end of the wet season is a good time to get veggie beds ready for planting.