Help your landlords and tenants save money on their water bill
- How can I help my landlord or renter save money on their water bills?
Living Water Smart has identified that around one in eight Darwin homes has a leak, with the average leak wasting 500 000 litres or $1000 per year – enough water to fill an average three bedroom home.
And don’t forget the garden. Through Living Water Smart’s water efficiency consultations, it has been found that watering lawns and gardens make up a whopping 57% of total household and business water use – whoa! This compares with just 10% in the bathroom and 7% in the kitchen and laundry combined!
- How do I know if the property has a leak?
It can be quite tricky with rental properties to find leaks as tenants that aren’t responsible for their own water bills may not be inclined to let you, or their landlord, know about a suspected leak. As they don’t see the water bill, they are probably unaware of the amount of water that is being used or unusual spikes in water use.
- Is there anything available I can send to my customers?
1. Send your landlords and renters an email with the link ‘how to find and fix leaks’.
2. If one of the properties you manage has a leak, you can use our '$200 Leak Find and Fix rebate' to repair it.
- Can I do a leak check during inspections?
Of course. It’s as simple as 1,2,3…
Step 1: Ask people in the home not to use water while you do the test, and make sure that there is no water being used i.e. the washing machine is not on.
Step 2: Go to the water meter and take a reading of the last two red digits on the water meter - write down or take a photo of the reading.
Step 3: Wait 5 minutes – remember not to use any water during this time. Take a reading of the last two digits in red. If there was any movement of the dial, the property may have a leak - even the smallest movement can add up to a lot of wasted water over a year.
- There are no leaks on the property, are there other ways to reduce my property owners’ water bill?
Yes! Contacting one of our specialist irrigators for a Garden Tune Up.
To assist residents to be more water efficient in their gardens Living Water Smart offers a Garden Tune Up rebate. The aim of a Garden Tune Up is to provide Darwin residents with a water efficient irrigation schedule and a quick tune up of their irrigation system.
The Garden Tune Up includes:
- An in-garden consultation by a registered irrigation specialist
- Review and adjustment of the current irrigation schedule
- Advice on irrigation equipment and smarter ways to use water in the garden
- Up to $50 of immediate, quick and easy repairs such as fixing a leak
*Must be one of Living Water Smart’s registered irrigators to receive the rebate.
- The landlord lives interstate, how can I let them know about what’s on offer?
Don’t forget to let them know that so long as they use our registered suppliers, there is no out of pocket expense to them unless repairs or upgrades are required beyond the rebate amount.*
*Any additional works will be quoted for and will require approval prior to going ahead.
- Can we use our own plumbers and irrigators to claim the rebate?
No. Living Water Smart is working with Darwin plumbing and irrigations suppliers that have applied to be part of the program and meet Living Water Smart’s water efficiency criteria.
A full list of registered suppliers can be found here.
- Our recommended supplier is not on the list?
No worries. You can use one of ours or alternatively, you can ask your contractor to contact us to find out how their business can benefit and how they can offer a value-added service to your customers through our new rebates.
- Why do we need to save water in Darwin?
Many people think that Darwin has an endless supply of water, but this is a myth. We are currently using more water than can be captured and supplied in the long term.
We are among the highest water users anywhere in Australia. An average household here uses 400,000 litres of water per year - that's around 1,100 litres of water per household each day. A lot of this water use is unnecessary and can be reduced whilst at the same time maintaining our great lifestyle and saving money on your customer’s bills!